Asian Chicken with Mushrooms
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs Madeira wine
- 4 large dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1 (1 inch) fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 (8 oz) can of bamboo shoots, drained, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 scallions, sliced, white and green parts
- Using the flat side of a cleaver or meat mallet of a cleaver or meat mallet, pound chicken until flattened, then dice.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced chicken, soy sauce, and Madeira. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine mushrooms and warm water, let stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tough stems, then cut the mushrooms into thin strips.
- Place a wok or large saute pan over high heat, add the oil.
- When hot, add chilies and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Remove and discard chilies.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the bell pepper and cook until crisp-tender.
- Drain the chicken, reserving marinade and add the to the pan. Stir fry chicken until cooked through.
- Add the reserved marinade and water from the mushrooms, then boil until nearly all liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in mushrooms and bamboo shoots and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the hoisin sauce and stir until heated through.
- Serve over hot rice and garnish with sliced scallions.