- 3 tbs tarragon vinegar
- 1 tsp shallots, minced
- 4 peppercorns, crushed
- a few tarragon leaves
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- kosher salt to taste
- In a small sauce pan, combine 3 tbs tarragon vinegar, 1 tsp shallots, crushed peppercorns and a few tarragon leaves.
- Simmer until the liquid has reduced to half.
- Strain and add 1 tbs cold water.
- Beat 4 egg yolks in the top of a double boiler (not over water)
- Add herb liquid.
- Bring a small amount of water to a simmer in the double boiler.</li>
- Have 1/2 cup butter at room temperature.
- Add a tbs of the butter at a time to the egg mixture, combining after each addition. (3 tbs total) combine until smooth.
- Continue adding remaining butter, in small amounts, stirring constantly, till the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Remove from heat and salt to taste, then add 1 tsp fresh tarragon.