Caribbean Peas and Rice
- 1 cup pigeon peas, cooked or canned
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1-2 fresh hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and saute the onion until golden.
- Add the hot pepper, coconut milk, thyme, salt, pepper and rice.
- Make up the quantity of liquid to about 2 and 1/2 cups with cold water if necessary. The rice should be covered by 1 inch of liquid.
- Bring rice to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the rice to a large bowl, then add the pigeon peas and combine well.