Caribbean Peas and Rice
|1 cup pigeon peas, cooked or canned|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|1 medium onion, minced|
|1-2 fresh hot red peppers, seeded and chopped|
|2 cups coconut milk|
|1 tbs fresh thyme, chopped|
|2 cups cooked rice|
|Kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Drain and rinse the beans. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and saute the onion until golden.
- Add the hot pepper, coconut milk, thyme, salt, pepper and rice.
- Make up the quantity of liquid to about 2 and 1/2 cups with cold water if necessary. The rice should be covered by 1 inch of liquid.
- Bring rice to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the rice to a large bowl, then add the pigeon peas and combine well.