Crab Pillow Appetizers
These are wonderful open faced sandwiches that make a delicious hot appetizer to pass at a party.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp dry sherry
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup lump crab meat
- 5 slices firm day old white bread
- Salad oil
- In a bowl, beat together egg white, water and sherry until foamy.
- Stir in cornstarch, salt, ginger and cilantro.
- Squeeze crab lightly to eliminate any moisture, then stir into egg white mixture.
- Remove crusts from bread, then cut each slice into four squares.
- Mound about 2 tsp of crab mixture on each square, pressing it firmly to bread and rounding the corners.
- If made ahead, arrange in a single layer in a baking pan, cover and chill for up to 8 hours.
- In a large skillet ad oil to 1 and 1/2 inches deep and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry 4 squares at a time, crab side down, until edges begin to brown. About 30 seconds.
- Turn over and fry for 10 seconds longer.
- Drain on paper towels.