Italian Braised Beef
|2 and 1/2 lbs chuck steak|
|3/4 lb onions, chopped|
|3 large garlic cloves, minced|
|3 cups dry red wine|
|about 7 tbs olive oil|
|2 tbs tomato paste|
|1 tbs wine vinegar|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|small bunch fresh thyme|
|1/3 cup flour|
|1 and 1/4 cups beef stock|
|1/2 lb small button mushrooms|
|1 16 oz can artichoke hearts, drained|
|18 pitted black olives|
- Cut the beef into large cubes, removing any excess fat.
- Place the beef, onions and garlic in a bowl with the wine, 3 tbs olive oil, tomato paste, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add the thyme, stir thoroughly to mix, then cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Strain off the marinade and reserve.
- Heat about 4 tbs olive oil in a large heat proof casserole or dutch oven.
- Brown the meat, in batches, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Remove the meat from the casserole with a slotted spoon.
- Stir in the flour into the oil remaining in the casserole and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the marinade and stock and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add the meat back in, cover the casserole tightly, then cook in a preheated 325 degree oven until tender. About 2 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, halve or quarter the mushrooms and artichoke hearts.
- Add the mushrooms, artichoke hearts and olives to the casserole, then simmer on top of the stove for about 5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning before serving.