- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbs grated lime rind
- 4 eggs, separated and 1 extra egg white
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the butter in a sauce pan, add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 1 or 2 minutes, without letting the mixture taking on any color.
- Add the milk, and sugar, and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the lime juice and rind, and mix well.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then beat in the egg yolks, one by one.
- Add the egg whites to a bowl, with a pinch of salt until they stand in peaks.
- Stir 2 tbs of the beaten egg whites into the souffle mixture, then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered 6 cup souffle mold.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until set.