Lobster Cocktail with Roasted Garlic Mashed Idaho Potatoes
|4 medium garlic cloves|
|2 tbs plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|1 and 1/2 lb live lobster|
|1 and 1/4 lb Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|6 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/4 cup heavy cream|
|2 tbs fresh orange juice|
|2 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|2 tsp fresh lime juice|
|1 tsp fresh tarragon, coarsely chopped|
|1 tsp fresh chives, plus 8 whole chives for garnish|
|1 tsp fresh cilantro, minced|
This recipe was developed by Gale Gand and Rick Tramonto co-owners and chef’s of TRU in Chicago IL. It contains luscious lobster atop garlic mashed potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crimp the edges of a 6-inch square of foil to form a loose pouch.
- Place the garlic in the pouch and drizzle with 3 tsp of the olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes until softened. Let cool for 10 minutes then peel the cloves.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and plunge the lobster in head first, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the lobster to a boil of cold water and let stand for 2 minutes to stop the cooking.
- Shell the lobster and discard the vein that runs down the tail.
- Cut the tail and claw mean into 3/4 inch chunks and put in a bowl.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan add water to cover along with a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, then pass the potatoes and roasted garlic through and food mill or potato masher.
- Beat in the butter, heavy cream, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- In a medium non reactive skillet, bring the orange, lemon, lime juices, tarragon, minced chives and the remaining 2 tbs of oil to a boil over high heat.
- Add the lobster and stir until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, divide the mashed potatoes among 4 parfait or stemmed glasses.
- Spoon one quarter of the lobster meat and citrus sauce into each glass and garnish each with 2 whole chives.
Recipe and photo courtsey of the Idaho Potato Commission