Mexican Carne Asada
|1 lb top round steak, cut into 1/8 inch slices|
|1 tbs chili powder|
|2 tbs red wine vinegar|
|4 tsp vegetable oil|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tsp cumin|
|1/2 cup beef broth|
|1 sweet onion, thinly sliced|
|2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped|
- Using a meat mallet, pound the meat to tenderize.
- Sprinkle the slices with chili powder and cumin.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, 3 tsp oil, sugar and garlic.
- place beef slices in a zip lock plastic bag and add the vinegar mixture.
- Refrigerate the beef for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove beef from marinade and remove the garlic pieces.
- Blot the beef with paper towels.
- Sprinkle beef slices with salt and pepper and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add a large saute pan over high heat and add a little oil.
- When hot add the beef and stir fry for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Pour broth into the pan and add the onion.
- Stir fry until the onion is hot and liquid is reduced to 2 tbs.
- Remove from heat, top meat with onion and cilantro and drizzle cooking liquid over.