Mussels with Garlic and Parsley
|3 lbs mussels, scrubbed|
|2/3 cup fresh white bread crumbs|
|2/3 cup chopped parsley|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|7 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tbs fresh Parmesan cheese, grated|
|lemon wedges for serving|
- Place mussels in a large sauce pan containing 1 inch of boiling water.
- Cover and cook over high heat until the mussels are open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open. Reserve and strain the cooking liquid.
- Mix together the bread crumbs, parsley, garlic and pleanty of black pepper and a dash of salt.
- Add the oil and 1/4 cup of the strained cooking liquid. Mix well, taste, then adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Discard the empty half shell from each mussel.
- Place the mussels in their half shell on two baking sheets.
- With your fingers, pick up a good pinch of the bread crumb mixture and press it down on each mussel, covering it well and filling the shell.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes, reversing the baking sheets halfway through cooking.
- Serve with lemon wedges and crusty french bread.