Scallops in Creamy Basil Sauce
|2 lb sea scallops|
|1 small onion, minced|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|1 tbs butter|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2/3 cup dry white wine|
|2 tbs fresh basil, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2/3 cup heavy whipping cream|
|basil sprigs for garnish|
- Cut the scallops in half horizontally.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and garlic, and fry gently until onions are soft. Take care not to burn.
- Add the scallops to the pan and toss to coat in the oil and butter.
- Stir in the wine and basil and season to taste.
- Cook over medium heat untill the scallops are tender, about 2-3 minutes, turning them constantly so they cook evenly. Do not over cook as they will become rubbery.
- Remove the scallops from the liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Boil the liquid remaining in the pan until reduced by half, then stir in the cream, a little at a time and simmer until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Return the scallops to the pan and heat gently.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves.