Sicilian Seafood Salad
|1 and 1/4 lbs mussels, scrubbed|
|1 cup dry white wine|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 bay leaf|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4/3 lb cleaned squid bodies, cut into rings|
|1 small green bell pepper, seeded cut into strips|
|1 small red bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips|
|1 carrot peeled, shaved|
|3/4 lb sea scalops|
|3/4 lb shrimp, peeled , cooked|
|2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1/4 cup lemon juice|
|2 tbs capers|
|3 tbs chopped parsley|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|black olives for garnish|
- Put the mussels in a large sauce pan containing white wine and enough water to make 1/2 inch deep.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook on high heat until the shells open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove them ussels from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add 7 cups of water to the reserved cooking liquid.
- Add the onion, bay leaf, a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the squid and simmer gentley until tender, about 2 minutes. No more.
- Meanwhile halve, core and seed the peppers, then cut them into thin strips.
- Peel the carrot and cut into fine ribbons using a potato peeler.
- Remove the squid from the cooking liquid after 2 minutes, and set aside.
- Bring the liquid back to a boil add the scallops and poach gently for 2-3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Cut the squid bodies into 1/2 inch thick rings, then cut the reserved scallops into four.
- Reserve a few mussels in their shells for garnish. Shell the remaining mussels and put in a large serving bowl along with the squid, shrimp and scallops.
- Add the peppers and carrot.
- Mix together with the olive oil, lemon juice, capers, parsley, garlic and black pepper to taste, then pour over the seafood.
- Mix lightly to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Chill for at least 2 hours covered.
- Garnish with black olives and the reserved mussels in their shells.