Spicy Macaroni Beef Stew
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 lb mushrooms, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1/4 cup flour
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cups red wine
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/8 inch rounds
- 3 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan for serving
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and add the beef cubes in batches. Brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the rosemary and thyme leaves from the stems and chop.
- Add in the mushrooms, carrots, parsley, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon and red wine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Allow stew to simmer for 2 hours covered, adding a little water if necessary.
- Meanwhile cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- To serve spoon macaroni into small bowls and stew over.
- Garnish with extra parsley if desired.
- Serves 6-8.