Spinach and Gruyere Souffle’
|8 oz frozen spinach, thawed|
|4 tbs butter|
|3 tbs flour|
|1 cup milk|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|3 eggs, separated, plus 1 egg white|
|1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded|
- Grease a 1 and 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Put the spinach in a strainer and press to remove all moisture. Mince.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the spinach and cook for a few minutes to remove any remaining moisture.
- Add the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil slowly.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Cool slightly, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time along with 3/4 cup of cheese.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture.
- Spoon into the souffle dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until well risen and just set. About 30 minutes.
- Serve at once.