Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbs plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup sweet onion, minced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, drain and squeezed dry
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbs pine nuts, toasted
- Cut a thick slice from the top of each tomato.
- With a spoon, carefully scoop out the tomato pulp and reserve.
- Lightly sprinkle the tomato shells with salt, then turn the shells cut side down, place on paper towels and allow to drain for about 30 minutes.
- Press the tomato pulp through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl and discard the seeds.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cheese, yogurt, lemon juice and garlic powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Place a frying pan over high heat and when hot add the tomato pulp and onion.
- Bring to a full boil and stir until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Add spinach and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach mixture to cheese mixture and blend well.
- In a bowl beat the egg white until soft peaks form, then fold in to the spinach cheese mixture.
- Blot the tomato shells dry with paper towels, then fill the shells with the spinach mixture and press down into the shells.
- Garnish each tomato with the toasted pine nuts.
- Place the tomatoes in a steamer rack over simmering water, cover and steam for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft but not falling apart. Allow to cool.
- Serve at room temperature.