Steamed Asparagus with Butter Sauce
- 16 to 20 asparagus spears
- 2 tbs dry white wine
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs chilled unsalted butter
- 1 tbs evaporated milk
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- To cook asparagus, break off tough ends and rinse under cold water.
- Place asparagus in a single layer on a rack over simmering water.
- Cover and steam for about 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- For the sauce, in a small sauce pan, combine the wine and vinegar and simmer over low heat, uncovered until reduced by about 1/2.
- Increase the heat to high. When the liquid boils, add the butter and milk and stir until the butter is partially melted, then remove from heat.
- Let stand until the butter has completely melted and stir to blend well.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Transfer asparagus to a serving and top with the warm sauce.