- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, plus extra for pie plate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tbs vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar on medium high until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually mix in the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pie plate.
- Arrange the strawberries on top, cut side down, as close together as possible.
- Sprinkle vanilla sugar over the top of the berries.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes,then reduce the temperature to 325 and bake for about 1 hour or until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let cool in the pie plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.