- 4 lbs of steamer clams
- 2 sticks of butter, melted
Steamed soft shell clams are a staple in New England and are super simple to prepare. The key is to soak the clams in salted water for several hours before steaming. This will remove most of the sand and grit if any.
- Add several inches of water to a large stock pot with a steamer basket.
- Gently add the clams to the basket.
- Bring to a boil and cover and steam for 5-10 minutes or until the shells are completely open.
- Discard any clams that do not open.
- Strain and reserve the seaming liquid and place in small bowls.
- Add melted butter to small bowls
- To serve remove clams from the shells, using the siphons as a handle, dipping them first in the clam broth, then into the melted butter.