Louisiana Bread Pudding with Whisky Sauce
|1/2 cup butter|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 and 1/2 cups water|
|3 eggs, beaten|
|1 13 oz can evaporated milk|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1 cup raisins|
|1 loaf French bread, broken into small pieces|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add water and heat through, but do not boil.
- Whisk in the eggs, evaporated milk and vanilla, then stir in raisins.
- Grease and 9 x 12 casserole dish.
- Add the bread, then pour the mixture over the bread. sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Take care not to over bake.
- For the whiskey sauce, slowly cook butter and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Mixture should be thick and very hot.
- Add eggs and beat very quickly.
- Cool slightly and add whiskey.
- Serve hot or cold over the bread pudding.