|3 lbs live crawfish|
|1 lb unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup olive oil|
|8 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 tbs thyme leaves|
|2 tbs Dijon mustard|
|2 tbs Old bay seasoning|
|1 tbs cayenne pepper (optional)|
|1 tbs black pepper|
|2 tbs Rex crab boil or 1 bag of Zatarain's crab boil|
|2 cups fish stock or water|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 tbs smoked paprika|
These craw fish are not barbecued in common understanding of barbecue. They are cook in a New Orleans inspired buttery savory sauce that is spicy and irresistible.
- Add the olive oil to a large stock pot and using medium heat and the onion and then the garlic.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the butter and melt slowly.
- Add all of the other ingredients, except for the craw fish and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- Return sauce to a boil.
- Add the crawfish and stir to combine well.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the crawfish turn bright red.
- Add crawfish to a platter and pour some sauce over.
- Optional, you may also cook corn on the cob, potatoes and whole onions in the sauce, prior to cooking the crawfish, and removing before adding the crawfish.