|1 and 1/2 cups sugar|
|1/2 cup boiling water|
|2 tbs butter|
|1/2 cup whipping cream|
|1 tbs vanilla sugar (see note)|
- Line a 7 inch pan with foil, then brush with oil.
- Carefully cook the unflavored sugar in a skillet over very low heat, stirring constantly until caramelized.
- Gradually add boiling water, then stir in butter, cream and vanilla sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boiling point and continue to cook to the firm ball stage or until temperature reaches 245 degrees.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- When caramel begins to set, cut into 3/4 inch squares.
- Separate candies so they do not stick together, then cool completely.
- Note: To make vanilla sugar, cut a vanilla pod in half lengthwise, then place in a jar of granulated sugar, cover and set aside for at least 1 week.