Caribbean Coconut Corn Bread
- 2 packets of active dry yeast
- 3 cups ap flour
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 cup coconut, finely grated
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sweet butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Water to mix
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Pour into mixing bowl along with half of the flour and combine.
- Cover bowl and place in a warm place and let rise for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water, about 1 cup, to make a stiff batter, beating thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Pour mixture into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Cover loosely with a cloth and leave in a warm place to rise until double in bulk, about 1/2 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the bread begins to shrink from the sides of the pan and the top is lightly browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.