Charcoal Roasted Breadfruit Salad
- 1 large Bread fruit (available at Latin and Asian Markets)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 scallions, cut on a bias, white and green parts
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, more if needed
Breadfruit is a delicious fruit/vegetable that is indigenous to the Caribbean and other tropical locations. It is covered by a tough outer skin and has a firm meaty interior and is highly adaptable to many preparations.
- Prepare a charcoal fire.
- Place the breadfruit directly onto the coals and roast, turning occasionally until all outer skin has blackened 30-40 minutes.
- Allow bread fruit to cool slightly, the cut into quarters and remove outer skin and cut the inner flesh into small chunks.
- Add the bread fruit to a bowl along with the carrot, mayonnaise and scallions.
- Season with salt and pepper, and combine well.