Cheddar Cheese and Beer Soup
|1/2 lb bacon, plus 4 extra strips, cut into small pieces|
|4 tbs butter, cut into chunks|
|3 ribs celery, diced|
|1 red onion, diced|
|1 cup flour|
|3 cups chicken stock|
|4 cups milk|
|1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tbs Tabasco sauce|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup warm amber beer|
|chives, chopped for garnish|
|crispy bacon for garnish|
- Add the bacon to large sauce pan and fry until almost crispy. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the bacon for garnish.
- Drain off most of the fat, then add the butter.
- When the butter has melted add the celery and onion and saute until onions are translucent and celery is tender.
- Add the flour and using medium heat whisk until a roux forms.
- Continue to stir until all lumps have been removed and the roux is blonde in color.
- Slowly add the chicken stock while continuing to whisk until smooth.
- Meanwhile warm the milk in the microwave, then carefully add the the sauce pan and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese a little at a time and continue to stir until all of the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the Worcestershire, Tabasco and beer.
- Allow to simmer for another 15 minutes, then taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped chives and the reserved bacon.