- 2 lbs fresh yucca root, peeled
- Canola oil for frying
- chili powder for dusting
- kosher salt for dusting
Yucca is also known as cassava root, is a common food eaten in Latin America. It is very starchy and takes well to frying.
- Peel the yucca and cut into large wedges.
- Remove any of the fibrous inner core.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and add the yucca and cook for about 25 minutes or until it becomes translucent.
- Remove from pan set aside and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Dry yucca with paper towels and remove any more thick fibrous pieces, then cut into wedges.
- Fill and large sauce pan 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the yucca in batches until golden brown.
- Place the cooked yucca on paper towels to drain, the dust with kosher salt and chili power.