Fresh Herb Bread
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm milk
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 and 2/3 cups bread flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbs chopped fresh mixed herbs (dill, chives, thyme, parsley)
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- additional milk
- Stir sugar into warm milk and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the surface is frothy.
- Stir gently to moisten any dry particles remaining on top.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then pour in the yeast mixture and combine to make a dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Grease and flour a standard sized loaf pan.
- On a floured surface, knead the herbs and pepper into risen dough, the place in the loaf pan.
- Cut the surface of the loaf diagonally with a sharp knife in several places.
- Cover loaf and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Brush loaf with milk.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- If the loaf is becoming too brown on top during cooking, cover with foil.