Homemade Semolina Pasta
|6-7 large eggs, room temperature|
|1 lb yellow semolina flour|
|1/2 lb hard wheat flour|
This is the authentic preparation for Italian semolina pasta.
- Place 2 eggs in a mixing bowl and beat lightly.
- Add 1/3 of the semolina and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Add 1/3 cup of the flour and beat again until thoroughly mixed.
- Add 2 more eggs, then 1/3 of the semolina and 1/3 of the flour, beating after each addition.
- Repeat with remaining eggs, semolina and flour.
- knead by hand method or with a pasta machine.
- Divide dough into 6 sections.
- Roll each section as thin as possible using a rolling pin or pasta machine. (a pasta machine gives the best results)
- Dust pasta with additional flour if pasta becomes too sticky.
- Still working with one section at a time, cut into desired shapes using the pasta machine or sharp knife.
- To cook bring water to a boil and cook until al-dente. Pasta should be firm and not soft.
- Optional; You may make spinach pasta by adding 1/4 cup of spinach, drained and squeezed dry,when mixing in the egg. Additional flour may be needed if pasta becomes too sticky.