Moroccan Preserved Lemons
- 10-12 fresh lemons
- 2 lbs kosher salt
Preserved lemons are a common ingredient in Moroccan and North African cuisine. They bring a wonderful flavor to soups stews as well as salads.
- Wash and dry the lemons, then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Using a large non-reactive container large enough to hold the lemons add some salt and then add the lemons.
- Then cover the lemons completely with salt. The lemons should be totally covered.
- Cover the container then place in a dark place for 2-3 months.
- To use remove the amount of lemons needed and rinse off completely.
- Scrape out the pulp and pith.
- The lemon rind with be tan in color.
- The rind may be sliced or chopped.
- If using uncooked or in a salad, simmer in water for about 30 seconds to remove unwanted salt.