Indian Crispy Cheese and Curry Lentil Balls
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 cup cornmeal
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- oil for deep frying
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine half the lentils in a food processor with the spring onions and garlic and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl, then stir in the remaining lentils, cumin, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, cheese and zucchini. Mix until well combined.
- Roll level teaspoons of the mixture into balls and toss lightly in cornmeal to coat.
- Fill a large saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the lentil balls in small batches for about 1 minute for each batch, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.