Indian Crispy Cheese and Curry Lentil Balls
|1 cup red lentils|
|4 spring onions, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp ground cumin|
|1 cup fresh breadcrumbs|
|1 cup grated cheddar cheese|
|1 large zucchini, grated|
|1 cup cornmeal|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|oil for deep frying|
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine half the lentils in a food processor with the spring onions and garlic and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl, then stir in the remaining lentils, cumin, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, cheese and zucchini. Mix until well combined.
- Roll level teaspoons of the mixture into balls and toss lightly in cornmeal to coat.
- Fill a large saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Cook the lentil balls in small batches for about 1 minute for each batch, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.