Italian Fisherman’s Stew
|4 firm, thick white fish fillets, about 1/4 lb each|
|1/2 lb mussels|
|1/2 lb little neck clams|
|1/2 lb calamari, cut into rings|
|1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, tail on|
|1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|4 cloves garlic, crushed|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 and 1/2 cups white wine|
|1 and 1/2 cups tomato puree|
|2 bay leafs|
|2 tsp Italian seasoning|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped|
|Crusty bread for serving|
- Add the olive to a large stock pot and using medium heat, saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the white wine, tomato puree, Italian seasoning and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the fish fillets, skin side down, cover pot and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the clams and mussels, and cook for about another 5 minutes or until the shellfish begin to open.
- Gently stir then add in the calamari rings and the shrimp, cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and the calamari is opaque.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if desired.
- To serve spoon a mixture of the seafood into bowls and cover with the tomato broth.
- Serve with crusty bread.