Japanese Fried Chicken with Nori
- 3/4 lb chicken breast tenderloins
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tbs ginger, finely grated
- 1 sheet nori, finely chopped or crumbled
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup oil for frying
- Carefully trim and discard any sinew from the chicken, then cut into bite-sized pieces and place them into a bowl.
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin and ginger in a small jar, then shake to mix well. Pour over the chicken and toss until evenly coated.
- Marinate, refrigerated for 15 minutes, then drain off any excess marinade.
- Mix nori with the cornmeal and, using your fingertips, lightly coat the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and fry the chicken in batches until golden, turning regularly. Drain on paper towels.