Lemongrass Shrimp Satays
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbs lemongrass, minced, white parts only
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tbs curry paste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 tbs coconut cream
- 2 tsp lime rind, grated
- 1 and 1/4 lb extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 lemon grass stems, cut into 6 inch skewers
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic, lemongrass, ginger and onion and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes or until golden. Do not burn.
- Add the curry paste and kaffir lime leaves to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the curry paste is fragrant.
- Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to a food processor, add the coconut cream,lime rind and shrimp, then process until finely minced.
- Divide into 24 portions and with wet hands, shape one portion around each lemon grass skewer, leaving about 1 and 1/2 inches uncovered at each end.
- The mixture will be quite soft to handle with care.
- Refrigerate the skewers for at least 1 hour covered.
- Broil or cook satay’s over charcoal for about 5 minutes, turning once until cook through.