Fruit and Nut Oatmeal Cookies
|2 cups old fashioned oatmeal|
|1 and 1//4 cup mixed raisins and dried fruit(apricots, cherries,|
|dates cranberries. Any combination you like)|
|1 cup nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds or a combination)|
|1 cup packed brown sugar|
|1 cup sugar|
|3/4 cup shortening|
|1/4 cup apple juice or apricot nectar|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp cinnamon|
|1/4-1/2 tsp ground cloves|
|1/2 tsp baking powder|
|1 and 1/2 cups flour|
- Place the oatmeal in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs.
- Leave in the processor and add the raisins, dried fruit and nuts and pulse to break up.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars and shortening until fluffy.
- Add the egg, juice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and flour and mix well.
- Fold in the oatmeal mixture and let set for 15 minutes to allow the oatmeal to absorb the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If the batter becomes too stiff add a little more juice.
- Drop batter by the tablespoon full onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly, then bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for several minutes the remove and add to racks to cool completely.