Rum Raisin Loaf
|2/3 cup raisins|
|3 tbs rum|
|3 tbs sugar|
|1 cup warm milk (110 degrees)|
|2 packages active dry yeast|
|3 and 1/2 cups ap flour|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|6 tbs butter|
|grated peel of 1 lemon|
|1 egg yolk beaten|
- Mix raisins with rum in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Stir 1 tsp sugar into warm milk and sprinkle with the yeast.
- Let stand 5 minutes or until the surface is frothy.
- Stir gently to moisten any dry particles remaining on top.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Melt butter, then cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl mix remaining sugar, butter, eggs and lemon peel.
- Stir in yeast mixture, then pour into flour mixture, combining to make a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough 5-10 minutes until smooth.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. About 30 minutes.
- Grease a standard sized loaf pan.
- Knead raisin and rum mixture into risen dough.
- Shape into a loaf and place in the greased pan.
- Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes, then bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.