Spicy Lentil Stew with Kale and Mixed Herbs
|3/4 cup lentils, rinsed|
|4 tbs olive oil, divided|
|1/3 cup carrots, diced|
|1/3 cup celery, diced|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 and 1/2 cups water|
|3-4 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried|
|3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried|
|2 tsp dried oregano|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|15 pearl onions|
|1 large bunch kale, leaves only, coarsely chopped|
|1 tbs walnut oil|
- Parboil the lentils for 5 minutes, drain and rinse.
- Heat 1 tbs of the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the carrots and celery.
- When slightly browned , add the garlic and tomato paste and mash into the vegetables.
- Pour the in the wine, water, mustard, then add the drained lentils, herbs, cayenne, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered until lentils are tender. About 30 or 40 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, blanch the pearl onions in boiling water for 1 minute and drain. This will make them easier to peel.
- Peel off the skins, then put them in a heavy frying pan with the remaining olive oil and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. About 5 minutes.
- Add a splash of wine toward the end to deglaze the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the kale and wilt, leave some water clinging to the leaves from washing.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the lentils and garnish with some walnut oil and pearl onions.