Asian Beef with Honey and Soy
|2 lbs chuck steak, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|4 tbs dark soy sauce|
|2 tbs honey|
|1 tbs rice vinegar|
|3 tbs oil|
|4 garlic cloves, chopped|
|8 spring onions, sliced on a bias|
|1 tbs fresh ginger, grated|
|2 star anise|
|1/2 tsp ground cloves|
|1 and 1/2 cups beef stock|
|1/2 cup red wine|
|scallions, sliced on a bias for garnish|
- Place the meat in a non metallic dish.
- combine the soy sauce, honey and vinegar in a small bowl, then pour over the meat. Cover and marinate for several hours or overnight.
- Drain and reserve the marinade and pat the meat dry.
- Place 1 tbs of the oil in a saucepan and brown the meat in batches, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Remove the meat, then add the remaining oil and fry the garlic, spring onions, ginger, star anise and cloves for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Return all the meat to the pan and add the reserved marinade, stock and wine.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 1 and 1/4 hours, then cook uncovered for another 15 minutes or until the sauce is syrupy and the meat is tender.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.
- Serve with rice.