Blueberry Walnut Coffee Cake
|1 cup ap flour|
|1 cup whole wheat flour|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|3 tbs sugar|
|1/2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/2 cup chopped walnuts|
|1/2 cup packed brown sugar|
|2 tbs butter, at room temperature|
|2 tbs unsweetened apple sauce|
|2 large eggs|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|1 cup plain yogurt|
|1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed|
|fresh mint leaves for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 8×8 inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the ap flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, ground cinnamon and walnuts.
- In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, butter and applesauce until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating until fully combined.
- Beat in the vanilla and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture in two batches to wet mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar/nut mixture over the batter and top with blueberries.
- Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes our clean.
- Cool slightly, then unmold onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and garnish with a fresh mint leaf.