Cantonese Tomato Beef
|1 lb boneless lean beef|
|1 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|3 tbs ketchup|
|1 tsp curry powder|
|2 tsp corn starch|
|1 tbs dry sherry|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4 tbs canola oil|
|1 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 large stalks celery, cut 1/4 inch thick, cut on a bias|
|1 large onion, cut in wedges, layers separated|
|1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch squares|
|3 medium tomatoes, each peeled and cut into 6 wedges|
- Cut beef with the grain into 1 and 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Cut each strip across the grain into 1/8 inch thick slices on a bias.
- To make the cooking sauce,in a bowl, combine the ketchup, cornstarch, soy, sherry, curry powder,Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beef and stir to coat, then stir in 1 and 1/2 tsps of oil and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat.
- When pan is hot add 2 tbs of the oil.
- When oil begins to heat, add the ginger, garlic and stir for 20 seconds.
- Add the beef and stir fry until the meat is browned on the outside, about 1 and 1/2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry for 1 minute longer, then return meat to the pan and stir in the cooking sauce, until sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Serve with rice.