Cheese Tortellini Soup with Sausage
|1 lb sweet Italian sausage|
|1 cup chopped onion|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|5 cups beef stock|
|1/2 cup water|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes|
|1 cup thinly sliced carrots|
|1 tsp basil|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce|
|1 lb package of fresh cheese tortellini|
|1 medium green pepper,chopped|
|1 and 1/2 cups sliced zucchini|
|1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated|
- In a stock pot brown the sausage over medium high heat, removing the casing and breaking it up and cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Drain well, leaving 1 tsp of drippings in the pot.
- Set the sausage aside, reduce heat to medium, then add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, herbs tomato sauce and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Skim off any fat, then add the tortellini and bell pepper, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- To serve, ladle soups into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.