Cherry and Walnut Quinoa
|1 and 3/4 cup uncooked, pre rinsed quinoa|
|2 tbs plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|3 tbs shallots, minced, divided|
|2 cups water|
|1/3 cup white grape juice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped|
|3 tbs lemon juice|
|1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped|
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the shallots to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add water, juice and salt to the pan, then bring to a boil.
- Add quinoa, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- To toast the walnuts, heat a non stick skillet over medium heat, add the walnuts and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- combine remaining 2 tbs of olive oil, lemon juice and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the quinoa, cherries and walnuts to the bowl and toss gently to combine,
- Serve warm.