Fried Mozzarella Sticks
|1 lb block of mozzarella cheese|
|2/3 cup flour|
|1/3 cup cornstarch|
|2 eggs, beaten|
|1/4 cup water|
|1 and 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1 tsp dried basil|
|canola or vegetable oil for deep frying|
- Slice the block of cheese, lengthwise into about 1/2 inch sections, then cut each section in half to make 3-4 inch sticks.
- In a bowl blend the flour and cornstarch, mix well, then set aside.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the water and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the bread crumbs with the garlic powder, oregano and basil and set aside.
- Dip the cheese sticks in flour, knocking off excess, then dip in the eggs, letting the excess drip off and finally int the bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, fill 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Carefully add the mozzarella sticks in batches and fry until golden brown.