Homemade Wheat Crackers
|1 cup wheat flour (5 oz)|
|1 cup ap flour (4 3/4 oz)|
|1/3 cup poppy seeds|
|1/3 cup white sesame seeds|
|1 and 1/2 tsp salt|
|1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder|
|3 tbs olive oil|
|3/4 cup water|
These are easy to make crackers that are all natural and contain no preservatives. This is the basic recipe, however you may add additional flavors if desired. For example you could make a version with rosemary and garlic. You will get the best results by measuring by weight and not volume. Make your measurements as exact as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, seeds, salt and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the oil and water and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with a bit of flour, then turn the dough out onto the surface and knead a few times until mixed.
- Section the dough into 8 equal pieces and cover with a tea towel to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- While the dough rests, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Roll out the dough by hand. It is a very easy dough to work with.
- To roll out, sprinkle just a bit of flour on the table and use a rolling pin to get it very thin.
- Cut squares and re-roll extras.
- Too much added flour makes the dough springier and harder to roll out thin, so don’t use too much.
- Place foil or parchment paper on a baking sheet then cut the thinly rolled dough into 2 inch squares.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8-12 minutes.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
- Makes about 30.