To many, Pomegranates are quite a mystery. Only the seeds of a pomegranate are edible and removing the can be quite the challenge. Here is a foolproof easy way to accomplish this task.
- Fill a large bowl with water.
- Place the pomegranate on a cutting board and using a sharp knife make two deep slits on top of the fruit in the shape of an x.
- Submerge the pomegranate underwater and use your thumbs to pry open the fruit at the x and pull it apart into wedges. If the pomegranate is difficult to pull apart, make the slit on top deeper and longer.
- Keep the pomegranate underwater and remove the white membrane.
- Then use your fingers to gently push the seeds from the skin, letting them fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- Skim the top of the water to remove all of the floating white membrane and skin.
- Pour out the water and reserve the pomegranate seeds.
- Pour a little more cold water over the seeds and pour out once again to make sure all the white membrane is gone.
- Gently dry the seeds and serve at once or store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.