Indian Chicken Vindaloo
|2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|6 cardamon pods|
|1 tsp black peppercorns|
|6 dried red chilies|
|1 tsp cloves|
|4 inch piece of cinnamon stick, broken|
|1 tsp cumin seed|
|1 tsp ground turmeric|
|1 tsp coriander seeds|
|1 tsp fenugreek seeds|
|4 tbs white vinegar|
|1 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|4 tbs oil|
|2 onions, finely sliced|
|10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|2 inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks|
|3 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped|
|1 tsp brown sugar|
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Split open the cardamom pods and remove the seeds.
- Finely grind the seeds and all the other spices in a spice grinder.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground spices with the vinegar’s, then add the chicken and mix to coat well.
- Cover and marinate for 3 hours.
- Heat a large saucepan over low heat add a little oil and fry the onion until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato and chili and stir well.
- Add the chicken, then increase the heat to high and fry for 3-5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add 1 cup of water and any remaining marinade, then slowly bring back to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with basmati rice.