Indian Ginger and Beef Curry
|2 lbs stewing beef, cubed|
|2 tbs oil or ghee|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 large onions, chopped|
|2 tbs fresh ginger, grated|
|2 red chilies, minced|
|2 tsp turmeric|
|2 tsp curry paste|
|1 cup coconut milk|
|3/4 cup beef stock|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4 scallions, cut on the bias for garnish|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, and add the meat in batches and brown the meat all over.
- Remove from pan drain on paper towels and place in an oven proof casserole dish.
- To the same pan add the onion, chilies, garlic, ginger, chili salt, pepper, turmeric and curry paste.
- Cook over low heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add the coconut milk and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the curry sauce over the beef, cover the casserole dish and bake for about 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.
- Serve with basmati rice.