Indian Lamb Curry
|2 and 1/2 lbs of cubed lamb, excess fat removed|
|2 tbs ghee or oil|
|2 onions, minced|
|3 cloves garlic, crushed|
|4 small green chilies, chopped|
|2 inch piece ginger, grated|
|2 tsp ground turmeric|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|3 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp chili powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes|
|2 tbs coconut cream|
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large frying pan (with a lid), add the onion and cook, stirring frequently over medium heat for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, chili and ginger and stir for 2 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Combine the spices and chili powder in a small bowl, then add 2 tbs of water and stir into a smooth paste, then add the the frying pan.
- Stir constantly for 2 minutes, taking care not to burn.
- Add the meat a handful at a time, stirring well to coat with the spices, making sure all the meat is well coated and browned.
- Stir in the tomato then season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes until the lamb is tender.
- Stir in the coconut cream 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with basmati rice.