- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped or mashed
- black pepper to taste
This is a hot dip that is common to the country side in Italy.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a double broiler.
- In another pan cook the garlic in a bit of the oil until soft.
- Add the anchovy fillets, and cook until the fish dissolves into a paste, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to pan of hot oil and butter.
- The bagna cauda is kept hot in the middle of the table.
- Guests dip, celery, cooked artichokes, Italian bread and any other crisp or par cooked vegetable desired.