Stove Top Braised Flank Steak
|4 lbs flank steak, trimmed of any silver skin|
|1 whole head garlic|
|1 large onion, peeled and quartered|
|1/2 cup celery, 2 inch pieces|
|2 cups beef broth|
|2 cups water|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 bay leaves|
This technique delivers meat that is super tender and is perfect for enchiladas, tacos or shredded beef sandwiches.
- Add the beef broth and water to a large sauce pan, along with the onion, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. Add a little salt and pepper to the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, slice the flank steak into large pieces, across the grain.
- Once the water boils, add the flank steak pieces, then reduce heat to a simmer. Make sure meat is completely covered.
- Simmer meat for 2 hours or until it is very tender and shreds easily.
- Remove meat from boiling liquid and allow to cool slightly, then shred for desired use.
- Optional: you may reserve some of the cooking liquid to make a flavorful gravy.
- Also the meat is delicious dipped in a mixture of ground cumin, salt and pepper.