Stove Top Braised Flank Steak
- 4 lbs flank steak, trimmed of any silver skin
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup celery, 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
This technique delivers meat that is super tender and is perfect for enchiladas, tacos or shredded beef sandwiches.
- Add the beef broth and water to a large sauce pan, along with the onion, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. Add a little salt and pepper to the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, slice the flank steak into large pieces, across the grain.
- Once the water boils, add the flank steak pieces, then reduce heat to a simmer. Make sure meat is completely covered.
- Simmer meat for 2 hours or until it is very tender and shreds easily.
- Remove meat from boiling liquid and allow to cool slightly, then shred for desired use.
- Optional: you may reserve some of the cooking liquid to make a flavorful gravy.
- Also the meat is delicious dipped in a mixture of ground cumin, salt and pepper.