Vietnamese Fried Fish
- 1 and 1/2 lbs firm white skinless fish fillets
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- oil for shallow frying
- 1/2 lb rice noodles
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh red chilies, sliced on a bias
- chopped peanuts
- scallions sliced on a bias
- fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh dill sprigs
- shrimp paste
- fish sauce for dipping
- lime wedges for squeezing
- Prepare the condiments and place them in separate bowls.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Cut fish into 1 inch chunks, the season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add cornstarch to a bowl and dredge fish, then knock off excess.
- In a large frying pan add about 1/2 inch of oil and heat to 350 degrees. (medium high)
- When oil is hot cook the fish in batches, turning once until fish is crispy and golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To serve place rice noodles in individual bowls and top with some of the fish, then add the condiments of choice and a squeeze of lime juice.