|1/2 cup plus 1 tbs butter, softened|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|2 tbs vanilla sugar (see note)|
|pinch of salt|
|1 and 2/3 cups ap flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 cup buttermilk|
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, unflavored sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and eggs until creamy.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- Stir into egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Add enough buttermilk to make a smooth batter.
- Heat the waffle iron, brushing the inside well with oil.
- Pour a little of the mixture carefully into waffle iron, taking care not to overfill it.
- Cook waffles 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: to make vanilla sugar, place a split vanilla bean in a jar of granulated sugar, seal jar tightly and let sit for at least 1 week before using.