Coffee Crumb Cake with Cherry Jam
|3/4 cup plus tbs soft margarine|
|1 cup granulated sugar\|
|grated peel of 1 lemon|
|3 and 1/3 cups ap flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1 (1 lb) jar cherry jam|
|1/2 cup ground almonds|
- Grease a (10 inch) spring form cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Stir in egg and lemon zest.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Fold in a few tablespoons into the mixture, then add remaining flour mixture.
- With fingertips, work mixture quickly into crumbs.
- Place half the crumbs in the prepared cake pan, then spread with the cherry jam.
- Mix remaining crumbs with almonds and scatter over the jam.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Sift powdered sugar over cooled cake.